It’s been a week since I posted something…and I have a reason for it! I’m doing inventory – sounds boring right? I know… but I’m creating a supplies list and coding them with images for my future posts. It’s such a big project so I’ve been spending some time every night working on that. I usually can’t stop in the middle of something but I felt like I HAD to make a quick card because this inventory project is hurting my brain.
I got some Tim Holtz distress inks – ok not some – all the minis. It’s all or nothing for me. I was so excited about organizing these and had to do a card with them. I also got new Stampin’ Up! acrylic blocks and the Big Shot. So excited about all these purchases – I definitely went overboard this month – but I saved 40% on most of the inks and I couldn’t pass up a good deal.
Anyway ~ I made some watercolor cards. I will start listing all my supplies at the end of my post. Hope you like them!
Here’s my video: Please watch, like, and subscribe!
Tim Holtz Distress Inks:
Card 1: Squeezed Lemonade, Chipped Sapphire, Peacock Feathers
Card 2: Picked Raspberry, Seedless Preserves, Salty Ocean
Stampin’ Up! Colors: Rich Razzleberry and Melon Mambo
Paper: Cardbase: Rich Razzleberry Layer: Watercolor Paper
Butterfly Thinlits Dies
Stamp Set: Papillon Potpourri
Bitty Butterfly Punch
The Blendabilities markers have been discontinued by Stampin’ Up! due to some quality manufacturing issues and it has been a disappointment for a lot of people. The markers are so versatile and you can do so many projects with them. I have no doubt that Stampin’ Up! will find an alternative for these popular markers in the future. I also have to remember that Stampin’ Up’s stampin’ write markers can be used to achieve the same effects with different techniques.
I played with my Blendabilities markers last night and made a quick card using vellum and the largest butterfly thinlit from the Butterflies Thinlits set (sorry, I can’t find the link for it!). I cut a piece of vellum to 4″ x 5 1/4″, cut out the butterfly image on Basic Black Card stock, and used Tombow Liquid Multipurpose Glue to carefully adhere the butterfly to the vellum. Once dry, I colored the back side of the vellum (if you put the project over some white/light colored paper, you can see easily through the vellum where you are coloring) with an assortment of Blendabilities markers. It’ so quick and easy! My oldest son watched me do this in less than 5 minutes.
This is what it looks like from the front side:
The colors are super vibrant!
You have to mount this image on white card stock/base because any other color will change the effect of the colors. I decided to matte my final project on Whisper White card base.
Such a clean look. I didn’t add any sentiments, but can when I’m ready to use the card.
There are so many family birthdays in February and I feel like I’m starting to run out of ideas for new cards. So my husband jumped in this afternoon, after some convincing, to “help me.” He looked through pinterest and got ideas after we decided we would use the Painted Petals stamp set. We also used the Butterfly thinlits on this card. I let him choose the colors and this is what we came up with:
The image itself is simple – a branch of flowers and a matching row of dots in Wisteria Wonder and Pear Pizzazz. The butterfly is cut in silver paper. I used a sentiment from the Petite Pairs stamp set and punched it out with the Artisan label punch. Stephen even sponged the edge of the sentiment piece with some Wisteria Wonder ink.
We finished off the card with some silver baker’s twine. I think he did a really good job picking out the colors!
Stampin Up has new butterfly thinlits in their Spring catalog this year. OoOoh soooo pretty! It’s also sold in a bundle with a coordinating stamp set, which I made myself hold back on. So this card is made using two other stamp sets. The Pear Pizzazz background is from the For All Things stamp set and the sentiment and twig/leaf image is from the Simply Sketched stamp set, which is now retired.
I’ve seen a lot of cute cards and tried to do my own version – the butterfly is obviously the main feature. I used Wisteria Wonder cardstock for both the cardbase and the butterfly.
At first, I didn’t use a background stamp and it felt like it was missing something. So I peeled everything off and added the woodgrain…which I’m glad I did. Here’s a picture of the card without the woodgrain background:
Definitely adds to the card!